Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Editorial about the high water and safety

We are all big boys/girls around here and can make our own decisions.  However, I want to express my feelings about one issue.  All the power going to the docks is run in conduits attached to the ramp that is now submerged.

Given the job the contractor did building the docks, and all the problems we continue to have with them, do you really want to risk electrocution based on their ability to keep all the electrical connections above the existing waterline and/or in water tight boxes?

Metro electricians have wired 30 amp plugs wrong at the downtown docks and burned up everything on at least one boat.  These folks would be the ones keeping us safe from the contractor.

If you see one of our good friends struggling to keep from drowning while transiting the flooded ramp... consider that it is most likely electricity that is causing their inability to control their muscles.  If you jump in to try to save them, you will almost certainly experience the same trouble.  This scenario has repeated too many times, until every witness and potential rescuer is dead.  I cannot think of a more terrible situation for any of us.  If, indeed, you get put into this scene - USE A BOAT to attempt the rescue, do not jump in the water!

Like I say, you are a big boy/girl.  You can make your own decisions about the level of safety you want.  I have waded down the ramp with water up to my belly button in years gone by.  I have pulled some extremely dangerous stunts, so I am no one to preach.  I just want you to have some background upon which you can make your own decisions.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment